Renovation

Photo Gallery

As part of our renovations, Autenriebs will be restoring the altar that we purchased from Wisconsin.  This piece has been stored in the hall during the renovations.  It is a butternut wood with Gothic spires and gold leafing.  The altar is reminiscent of the original altar that was in our church.

 

The altar had previously been in a church in Wisconsin that was part of the Archdiocese of Milwaukee.  Later, when that church closed, it was used in a monastery for Tridentine Masses.  When the monastery closed, a man named Louis Svoren purchased it to preserve it and prevent any unholy use. 

 

For Christmas of 1986, Louis commissioned the restoration of the altar “For the Love of Jesus on His Birth Day”.  The photograph shows the notation that was found on the back of the altar.

 

As we near the celebration of the birth

of our dear Savior,

how fitting it is that,

for the LOVE OF JESUS,

we are working to honor Him by

making our church

a beautiful and fitting home for Him!

After the 1949 Remodel

A Discovery!

When cutting circular holes for new recessed lighting in the choir loft, Paul Goeckner of Goeckner Electric made an interesting discovery! 

 

The removal of portions of the Celotex ceiling tiles revealed the old plaster ceiling which had been stenciled with colors of salmon, rust, purple, white and blue.  These colors had been applied in the 1949 redecoration that was completed by Max Autenrieb.  Covered for many years, the stenciled paint is still bright. 

 

The pieces removed from the ceiling are shown.  The photograph from after the 1949 remodel shows a bit of the ceiling with the stenciled decorations. 

It is interesting to try to match the designs in the pieces to the pattern on the ceiling!

 

Before the 1949 redecoration, the ceiling had a different decoration—shown in the photograph from 1948.

 

When the church was redecorated under the care of Fr. Klink in 1959,

the plaster ceiling was covered with Celotex tiles.

1948

Do you remember the crack by the Baptismal Font?  
As it turns out, that area had previously been repaired and the plaster was pulling away from the lath.  As the Autenrieb crew was working to repair the crack, the plaster came loose and down came the corner!  But we have the pros here and they assure us that the crack is not structural and can be fixed.  Pictured is a bit of the plaster wall that had been hiding behind canvas on the wall -
it was salvaged by the crew.
Before the primer coat of paint went up, Fr. James and Deacon Rick inscribed a blessing for our parish on the wall of the sanctuary.
When working on rewiring for lights below the choir loft balcony, Paul Goeckner of Goeckner Electric made a discovery!
Attached to one of the beams was a tag signed by W. P. Dunn which noted the use of iron products manufactured by John Clemens of St. Louis, Missouri.
W. P. Dunn was the contractor for the building of the church in 1914.  Below is a photo of the original contract that is held in the parish archives.
Did you know that on our statue of Our Lady she is represented with long hair down her back?
Sweet Mary,
Pray for us!
We made some interesting discoveries when we dismantled the sanctuary!
Heavy iron grates were discovered under the steps to the altar of repose.  These would have been used to allow the heat from the coal furnace in the basement into the church.
Some decorative painting was discovered behind the beam anchoring the Altar of Repose to the back wall.  This decorative painting is visible in this portion of a 1958 photograph of the sanctuary (below).
A First Holy Communion photo (above) from the 1950s gives a rare glimpse of the tabernacle used in the original altar. This same tabernacle (shown to the right) was also used in our recently dismantled Altar of Repose.  The plaque (top right) on the side of the tabernacle, which had been previously covered, reveals that the patent on the tabernacle was 1918.  While we do not know for certain, it is possible that this tabernacle was the original to the church.
The steps to the recently dismantled high altar were the same as the ones from the original high altar.  When the church was redecorated in the late 1950s and the original altar was replaced, the steps remained.  The wood was tongue and groove and the nails were hand forged.  The nails shown on the image of the Sacred Heart of Jesus  were salvaged
from the steps.

© 2017 Sacred Heart Church